Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
> I'll give my vote to Peter's idea that show tables; should better act as
> if you typed \d.

We have previously considered and rejected this type of approach, for
example in the pgsql-bugs discussion I referenced upthread.

> I don't see what the gain is to refuse being nice to MySQL newcomers
> when someone actually does the work.

Nobody has actually done such work, nor offered to.  If it did show up
it would be a large and ugly patch that would have a good chance of
being rejected.  The proposed patch to just provide a helpful message
is only a dozen or two lines, which is about the right amount of effort
to expend in this direction IMHO.