Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> or we need to discuss something that would embarrass someone if it
>> were publically known.

> Personal opinions are of course private. Can you think of an example of a
> secret embarrassing item that has affected the direction of the project?
> I'd be fascinated!

There have been a couple of cases where core has decided that a committer
needed to be admonished ("yo, mon, why you committing new features
during beta freeze?" or something like that).  Marc has generally done
the admonishing with a cc to core, but we don't embarrass people in
public.  I don't propose to name names here for obvious reasons.

Another class of properly-private discussions have been reports of
security-related bugs; that sort of thing seems best not mentioned
too widely on the public lists until a fix is available.  (BTW, if
you ever have a security bug report that you don't think ought to be
mentioned in the public archives, send it to pgsql-core.)

Dunno about "affecting the course of the project".  I don't think that
core as core has all that much influence on the course of the project.
Timing (release schedule) yes, because people allow us to decree that,
but direction no.