Re: Punctuation error - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Punctuation error
Date
List pgsql-docs
=?utf-8?q?PG_Doc_comments_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> This sentence should not use a semicolon: "Both the ADD TABLE and DROP TABLE
> operations are transactional; so the table will start or stop replicating at
> the correct snapshot once the transaction has committed."

That looks perfectly fine to me.  Moreover, there are a *lot* of places
in the PG docs that we'd have to change if we got persnickety about this
sort of thing.

> You can either
> change it to a comma, or else leave out the "so" that follows the semicolon.
> The text that follows a semicolon must be a complete sentence that stands on
> its own.

I am unfamiliar with this grammar "rule", and vigorously dispute that
anyone follows it in the real world.

            regards, tom lane