Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Date
Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> ... These users would like to have sha1
> (and/or other securer hashes). And they would like it in -core, because
> their hosting company don't install the contrib modules.

That line of argument could be used to justify putting anything and
everything in core.  I think that our extensible architecture is an
important feature and one we should not hesitate to use to the fullest.

There is clearly work that could/should be done to improve it, such
as having better system support for packages or modules or whatever
you want to call them; and maybe we also need some marketing-type
work to encourage people such as hosting companies to allow access
to non-core packages.  But allowing arguments such as the above to
drive our design is not the way to go.