Re: postgresql 9.4 is not for 32 bit Windows? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: postgresql 9.4 is not for 32 bit Windows?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Scott Robertson wrote
> It appears there is no support for 32 bit computer owners?

Do you really mean "support" or do you want to know if PostgreSQL will run
on Windows 32bit?

> Am I correct that enterprisedb and postgres developers are the same
> organization?

No, you are not.  EnterpriseDB packages Windows binaries for the community
but they are a separate entity.  The PostgreSQL development team only
officially "supports" compile-from-source installations.  Other people
and/or organizations take on the role of compiling and providing binary
packages for the various platforms.  EDB also offers commercial versions and
commercial support whereas since PostgreSQL itself is
Free-Open-Source-Software (FOSS) the community support is likewise free and
all of the focus aspects and limitations that comes with that dynamic.  The
community is excellent but for non-bug related stuff does expect the person
requesting help to be reasonably knowledgeable and willing to learn.

> Lastly, is it possible that the documentation quoted above is
> accidentally missing a mention of 32-bit users? I don't even know what
> 32-bit and 64-bit means, it's just another stumbling block to general
> accessibility as far as I'm concerned. Certainly postgres developers
> have not decided to shut out people who don't have 32-bit machines?

I don't think there is anything precluding 32-bit execution in the
PostgreSQL source code so it is a matter of someone putting the need files
together.

As for your confusion on 32bit vs. 64bit I wouldn't be surprised if you
actually can (and probably should) run the 64bit executable.  You should
probably read up on the topic a bit and check the machines that you are
using to see what they are.

Note also that whether EDB supports a given version is different than
whether it will actually run.  Given your first confusion (i.e., PostgreSQL
!= EDB) you likely need to better understand the landscape and/or give more
details about your usage and needs if you expect any kind of clarity.

> Any help addressing these questions would be appreciated. I have to
> start with the right stuff because I want to create a web app that
> others can use online or offline, and these others will be less
> proficient than I at technical stuff, they will just want to click and
> type and see the magic happen.

This doesn't really qualify as "more details"...though the online/offline
requirement seems odd.

EDB people do monitor this list but questions pertaining to their commercial
support and products, and even their non-commercial installers, will likely
get better responses if asked directly to them.

David J.