Re: bgwriter changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: bgwriter changes
Date
Re: bgwriter changes
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> (2) Remove bgwriter_percent. I have yet to hear anyone argue that
> there's an actual need for bgwriter_percent in tuning bgwriter behavior,

Of the three offered solutions, I agree that that makes the most sense
(unless Jan steps up with a strong argument why this knob is needed).

However, due consideration should also be given to

(4) Do nothing until 8.1.

At this point in the release cycle I'm not sure we should be making
any significant changes for anything less than a crashing bug.

> A patch (implementing #2) is attached -- any benchmark results would be
> helpful. Increasing shared_buffers (to 10,000 or more) should make the
> problem noticeable.

I'd want to see some pretty impressive benchmark results before we
consider making a change now.