Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Devrim Gündüz
Subject Re: Centos 5 postgis2_92 packages
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 07:10 +0000, Michael Harris wrote:

> First up - many thanks for the fantastic job you're doing in providing the community with these packages!

You are welcome!

> We have some databases on Centos 5 / Postgresql 9.2, which we want to install postgis on. We aren't able to upgrade
to9.3 just now.

> The most recent version of postgis2_92 for Centos 5 seems to be 2.0.6. This RPM does not appear to be usable for us -
forone thing is seems to be missing the extension control files.

> There are more recent versions for Centos 5 / Postgres 9.3 (2.1.7) or Centos 6 / Postgres 9.2 (2.1.4).
>
> Was there some particular reason for this (ie. missing libraries, library version conflicts, etc)? Or is it just a
caseof that combination being considered too old to support?

We cannot push 2.1 to 9.2 without changing the name of the packaging. If
we just update to 2.1 on 9.2, then 2.0 users will be unhappy. Instead,
we can bite the bullet and create something like

postgis_20_92 (for 2.0)
postgis_21_92 (for 2.1)

so that they can be installed in parallel. Jeff/Craig, comments?

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Attachment