Re: 9.1 to 9.2 requires a dump/reload? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: 9.1 to 9.2 requires a dump/reload?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, October 22, 2012 05:55:07 PM Nikolas Everett wrote:
> I was just looking at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-2.html and it
> mentioned that a dump/reload cycle was required to upgrade from a previous
> release.  I just got done telling some of my coworkers that PG had been
> bitten by this enough times that they were done with it.  Am I wrong?  Is
> this normal?
>
> I see that pg_upgrade is an option.  Having never used how long should I
> expect pg_upgrade to take?  Obviously we'll measure it in our environment,
> but it'd be nice to have a ballpark figure.

pg_upgrade using hard links should only take a minute or 2. You'll also need
to shuffle around packages and services and config files. The slowest part for any
decent sized database will be doing an analyze after bringing it up under 9.2,
though. So however long that takes for your db, plus maybe 10-15 minutes or
so, if you've practiced.