Re: PostgreSQL on AIX platform - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on AIX platform
Date
List pgsql-general
Payal Shah wrote
> Can you please confirm if PostgreSQL 9.2.4 is supported on AIX 7 platform?
> In the following URL, it mentions support for AIX 6 (but not AIX 7) -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/installation-platform-notes.html
>
> As I understand from a different topic on this forum is that, we would
> need to download source code and compile on AIX using IBM XL C compiler.
> Can someone provide steps on how to do that?

All indications are that AIX as an OS, and probably any underlying
architectures it runs on, are capable of running all supported releases of
PostgreSQL.

However, per this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/supported-platforms.html

"A platform (that is, a CPU architecture and operating system combination)
is considered supported by the PostgreSQL development community if the code
contains provisions to work on that platform and it has recently been
verified to build and pass its regression tests on that platform. Currently,
most testing of platform compatibility is done automatically by test
machines in the PostgreSQL Build Farm."

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

There is currently no official support, via continual regression testing, of
AIX since there has not been an AIX buildfarm member in about a year - and
that one (grebe) ran 5.1 using gcc.

The link you provided is a subsection of the general installation notes:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/installation.html

Have you read this entire chapter and tried to follow the instructions?

Hopefully someone has, and ideally is willing to contribute to the
documentation or Wiki, a cookbook recipe if indeed the process is
considerably different that what is already documented in the aforementioned
chapter.

David J.