Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 13:52, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Do you think we'll have enough info by end of this week to make a
>> decision on whether we can drop MSVC in v16?

> There's no way I can test anything this week - I'm on leave for most of it
> and AFK.
> But, my point was more that there are almost certainly more projects using
> the MSVC build system than the EDB installers; pgAdmin being just one
> example.

Yeah.  Even if EDB can manage this, we're talking about going from
"src/tools/msvc is the only option" in v15 to "meson is the only
option" in v16.  That seems pretty abrupt.  Notably, it's assuming
that there are no big problems in the meson build system that will
take awhile to fix once discovered by users.  That's a large
assumption for code that hasn't even reached beta yet.

Sadly, I think we really have to ship both build systems in v16.