Re: regression failure on master with --disable-integer-datetimes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: regression failure on master with --disable-integer-datetimes
Date
Re: regression failure on master with --disable-integer-datetimes  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
> Hm.  As the test stands, it requires a float-timestamps implementation
> to store a value of 3600000610.000001 seconds, which is 16 decimal digits

The test value has 1e9 hours, which is 3.6e12 seconds, plus 6 more
digits for microseconds is 18 decimal digits. If, as you say, 15 digits
can be reliably extracted from a double, then we need to cut three zeros
(which matches my simple test of just removing zeros until it achieves
the microsecond precision).

> However, removing *any* digits seems like it mostly defeats the point of
> the test.  Maybe we should just lose the test?

The reason I thought it might still have some value is because it would
have still caught the problem that 4318daec patched. But I'm fine with
removing it.

(Though, I should add a comment indicating that it's not testing the
true maximum length.)

> A different solution is to add a variant expected-output file, though
> I'm not terribly thrilled with that answer.

Nor am I.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis