Re: A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nur Hidayat
Subject Re: A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?
Date
List pgsql-general
If I didn't change the data type to charcater varying vaccuming the database doesn't reduce the database size

.::.
Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by The ESQ Way 165

-----Original Message-----
From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:43:49
To: <hidayat365@gmail.com>
Cc: John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>; <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave.
 How to compact it?

On 12 March 2012 09:20, Nur Hidayat <hidayat365@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, after I changed text field into character varying, I vaccuum the whole database, resulting in much smaller
databasesize

What I think that happened in your case is that because of the
data-type change every row in the table got rewritten to a new version
where said column was of the new type. The subsequent vacuum then
removed the old (bloated) rows with the old type from the database
file.

And thus you ended up with a clean table.