Re: Should we remove "not fast" promotion at all? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should we remove "not fast" promotion at all?
Date
Re: Should we remove "not fast" promotion at all?  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> FWIW I'd rather keep plain promotion for a release or two. TBH, I have a
>> bit of trust issues regarding the new method, and I'd like to be able to
>> test potential issues against a stock postgres by doing a normal instead
>> of a fast promotion.

> So we should add new option specifying the promotion mode, into pg_ctl?
> Currently pg_ctl cannot trigger the normal promotion.

It would be silly to add such an option if we want to remove the old mode
in a release or two.

I think what Andres is suggesting is to leave it as-is for 9.4 and then
remove the old code in 9.5 or 9.6.  Which seems prudent to me.