Re: how to use aggregate functions in this case - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: how to use aggregate functions in this case
Date
List pgsql-general
David Johnston wrote

> Janek Sendrowski wrote
>> Hi,
>>

>> thanks for all your answers.
>>
>> I'll have a try with the contains operator and the intrange, but
>> before I'd like to know if this would work:
>>

>> CASE WHEN a >= 0 AND a < 25
>>
>> CASE WHEN a >= 25 AND a < 50
>>

>> There wouldn't be a double endpoint. I just have to decide which
>> range the endpoint includes.
>>

>> Janek Sendrowski
> Yes, using explicit comparison operators with "AND" will work just fine;
> its just a little more verbose so the other options, if available, are
> preferred from a readability standpoint.  I do not know whether the
> different options may have different performance characteristics.
>
> David J.

And just for completeness:

WITH range_def (low, high, label) AS (
VALUES (0, 25, '0 to 25'::varchar), (25, 50, '25 to 50')
)
SELECT ...
FROM source_data
JOIN range_def ON (val >= low AND val < high)
[the rest of the query]

David J.