Re: column "id" is of type integer but expression is of type character - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: column "id" is of type integer but expression is of type character
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard,

> Don't use SELECT * - list the columns you want to insert. I can't think
> why you would do that (you'll end up with nulls in the id column) but it
> will work.

In real table id is defined as

id serial primary key

so I excpect that it will be populated with correct values.
List of columns are not exactly known at script creation time (in customer
sites customers may add additional columns to table),
so using column list is not possible.

Ony way seems to generates SELECT column list dynamically at run time, but
I'm looking for nicer solution to force PostgreSql to match columns by name.

Andrus.