Re: \copy multiline - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: \copy multiline
Re: \copy multiline  (Sebastian P. Luque <spluque@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 21:21 -0600, Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use \copy to output tables into CSV files:
>
> \copy (SELECT ...) TO 'a.csv' CSV
>
> but for long and complex SELECT statements, it is cumbersome and
> confusing to write everything in a single line, and multiline statements
> don't seem to be accepted.  Is there an alternative, or am I missing an
> continuation-character/option/variable that would allow multiline
> statements in this case?

A simple way to workaround this issue is to create a view with your
query and use the view in the \copy meta-command of psql. Of course, it
means you need to have the permission to create views in the database.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info