Re: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
Date
Responses PHP's pg_connect() and non-standard location of the socket (was: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)  (Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>)
List pgsql-general
Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Can I redefine location of the UNIX domain socket file to be other
> than /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432?
>>
>> Yes, in 7.1 this is a supported option.  See unix_socket_directory
>> parameter.

> Thanks a lot, this is what I was looking for.  I have another
> question, though: how are the clients (mod_php4 for e.g.) going to
> know the non-standard location of the socket file?

They're not, unless you tell them, which is why runtime setting of the
parameter isn't all that useful IMHO.  But some people wanted it, so
there it is.

            regards, tom lane