Re: Question about granting permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Question about granting permissions
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 13:10 +0200, Matvey Teplov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to bother with the stupid question guys - I'm new to the Postgres.
> I'm having issue allowing user to access the database - the user is
> not allowed to access the data. I do the following:
> 1)   grant all on database testdb table mytable to trinity;
>
> postgres=# \l
>                                   List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |
> Access privileges
> -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>                                                              :
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>                                                              :
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  testdb    | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =Tc/postgres
>                                                              :
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>                                                              :
> trinity=CTc/postgres
> (4 rows)
>
> But when I login (psql -d testdb -U trinity) as trinity and check it,
> it doesn't work.
>
> testdb=> select * from mytable;
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation mytable
> testdb=> \dp
>                             Access privileges
>  Schema |  Name   | Type  | Access privileges | Column access privileges
> --------+---------+-------+-------------------+--------------------------
>  public | mytable | table |                   |
> (1 row)
>
> There is also entry in the log:
> 2012-08-26 13:06:01 CEST testdb trinity ERROR:  permission denied for
> relation mytable
> 2012-08-26 13:06:01 CEST testdb trinity STATEMENT:  select * from mytable;
>

> Can someone explain what do I do wrong? Thank you in advance!

Giving all permissions to your user on a database doesn't mean he has
all permissions on every object inside this database. It simply means he
has permission to connect, and create object in this database.

So, if your user isn't the owner of this table, he cannot read it.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info