Re: Picksplit warning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Picksplit warning
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:11 +0300, Oleg Mürk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our postgresql logs are getting filled with warnings:
>   LOG: picksplit method for column COLUMN_IDX of index INDEX_NAME
> doesn't support secondary split
> We are using gist indexes on integer, timestamp, and Postgis geometry.
>
> Is there a way to work around this problem?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-08/msg01810.php

A similar complaint from a long time ago. It looks like the conclusion
was to demote that to a DEBUG1 message, which won't clutter your logs.

It doesn't indicate a real problem. It's essentially saying that PostGIS
is missing out on a potential optimization, which is not something you
can easily fix. It's also not very well documented, unfortunately, so
it's not something the PostGIS folks can fix easily, either. I brought
this up on -hackers, so hopefully it will be resolved.

In the meantime, you're stuck with the messages cluttering your
logfiles.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis