Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2012-04-11 at 12:48 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, the real criteria don't matter as much as coming up with a
> set of criteria we're all willing to obey, whatever they are.
>
> Ultimately, we're herding cats here.  I don't think you're going to
> get the community to suddenly be willing to march in lockstep
> instead.

Yeah, I think what's forgotten in this discussion is that we're all
volunteers.  (Even those who have jobs related to this are still
volunteers with respect to the project.)  So people will do whatever
they want.  If you don't let them do what they want, they will do it
elsewhere.  Now it's fine to encourage a little bit of team spirit and
community values here and there, but you can't build your process on
making people do what they don't want to do.