Re: Resize numeric column without changing data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Resize numeric column without changing data?
Date
Re: Resize numeric column without changing data?  (Lukas Eklund <lukas@eklund.io>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2012-04-09 at 16:06 -0400, Lukas Eklund wrote:
> Ah. I must have not noticed that the typmod for views is not inherited
> automatically. I'm okay with developing a script to recreate the 15 or
> so views the depend on that table. What I'm trying to avoid is locking
> that table for a substantial amount of time. Thanks for the advice!

FYI, later versions of postgres try to avoid rewrites of the table when
possible for simple ALTERs like the one you're talking about.

Are you using PostgreSQL 9.1? Try it out in a simple test case... maybe
the lock is only held for an instant anyway. Some of these optimizations
went in 9.2 (not released yet) but I think the one you need is in 9.1.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis