Re: Incorrect assumptions with low LIMITs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Incorrect assumptions with low LIMITs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 12:48 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> The problems are as I described them
>
> (1) no account made for sparsity, and other factors leading to an
> overestimate of rows (N)
>
> (2) inappropriate assumption of the effect of LIMIT m, which causes a
> costly SeqScan to appear better than an IndexScan for low m/N, when in
> fact that is seldom the case.
>
> Overestimating N in (1) inverts the problem, so that an overestimate
> isn't the safe thing at all.

I think the actual problem has more to do with risk. The planner doesn't
know how uniform the distribution of the table is, which introduces risk
for the table scan.

I would tend to agree that for low selectivity fraction and a very low
limit (e.g. 1-3 in your example) and a large table, it doesn't seem like
a good risk to use a table scan. I don't know how that should be modeled
or implemented though.

Regards,Jeff Davis