Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As far as the Wiki page is concerned, it would be good to make sure the
> entries have a bit more info than just a header line -- things such as
> "author", who reviewed and what did the reviewer say about it.

I think it'd be easy to go overboard there.  One thing we learned from
Bruce's page is that a display with ten or more lines per work item is
not very helpful ... you start wishing you had a summary, and then the
whole design cycle repeats.

We should not try to make the wiki page be a substitute for reading the
linked-to discussions.  (This is one of the reasons that dropped links
in the archives, such as the month-end problem, are so nasty.)

One idea is to make more effective use of horizontal space than we were
doing with the current wiki-page markup.  I'd have no objection to
including the author's name and a status indicator if it all fit on the
same line as the patch title/link.