Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems?
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 22:37 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 22:26 +0200, Hannes Erven wrote:
> > [...]
> > I'm planning to set up streaming replication from one master to one
> > slave. I've read at
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/warm-standby.html that the
> > "hardware architecture" of both systems must be the same.
> >
> > Sure enough, what I'd really like to do is replicate from a Windows (or
> > Linux) 64bit master to a Linux 32bit slave -- that's what I currently
> > have easily available.
> >
> > I tried just following the instructions and copied the data directory to
> > the slaves, but postgres does not start:
> >  FATAL:  falsche Prüfsumme in Kontrolldatei
> > (FATAL: wrong checksum in control file)
> >

> > So I'd like to ask if there is anything I could do by e.g. changing
> > compile-time options at the slave to get things going?
> >

> There's nothing you can do. It won't work between a 32bit and a 64bit
> machines.

Just when I hit the Send button, I wondered if that would be possible if
he installed a 32bit PostgreSQL on his 64bit Windows. It could be OK
with the same OS, but with different OS, there is less chance, I guess.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info