Re: Incomplete Startup Packet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Incomplete Startup Packet
Date
List pgsql-general
Mott Leroy <mott@acadaca.com> writes:
> Some time ago, I accidentally did a kill -9 on the postmaster (yes, I
> know, I know), when trying to kill -9 one of the child processes (er,
> yeah, probably bad too). This turned out to be pretty bad for us. It put
> the database in a bad state. I had to run some kind of hacky command (I
> don't recall which one) to even get postgres to start up again. Since
> then, the log file is littered with:

> LOG:  incomplete startup packet

It's impossible to believe that that's even slightly related.
"Incomplete startup packet" means that you've got broken client-side
software, or perhaps that something is portscanning you.  You sure you
weren't seeing those beforehand?

            regards, tom lane