Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-05-24 at 15:59 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think you misread what I wrote, or I misexplained it, but never
> > mind.  Matching locale names case-insensitively sounds reasonable to
> > me, unless someone has reason to believe it will blow up.
>
> OK, that's what I needed to hear.  I have applied the attached patch,
> but only to 9.1 because  of the risk of breakage. (This was only the
> first bug report of this, and we aren't 100% certain about the case
> issue.)

On FreeBSD, locale names appear to be case-sensitive:

$ LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 locale charmap
UTF-8

$ LC_ALL=en_US.utf-8 locale charmap
US-ASCII

$ LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 date
Mi  1 Jun 2011 18:22:24 EEST

$ LC_ALL=de_DE.utf-8 date
Wed Jun  1 18:22:47 EEST 2011

So I think that change needs to be reverted.