Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: How do you change the size of the WAL files?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 12:51 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> runner wrote:
> >

> >  Our WAL files are 16 Mb in size each.  I cannot find where you
> >  configure them to make them larger.  16 Mb is too small for our
> >  instalation.  If necessary, I can rebuild the entire cluster.  Our
> >  DBA initialized a new cluster and specified a larger WAL size but it
> >  stayed at 16 Mb.  Any info on this?
>
> Why is 16MB too small?  Most people increase checkpoint_segments for
> larger installs and it works fine.

To answer the question, it is possible to change the wal log size. It is
a setting in pg_config.h: #define XLOG_SEG_SIZE (16 * 1024 * 1024) .

If you change that and recompile, your wal segment size will be
different. I have heard of people running 32meg sizes. We have tried
with smaller sizes but it ended up thrashes the disk.

Further keep in mind you will have to do a dump and restore to the new
cluster. Your existing cluster will not be usable once you do this.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor