Re: The efficiency of the WAL log writer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Elliott
Subject Re: The efficiency of the WAL log writer
Date
List pgsql-general
> Steven Elliott <selliott4@austin.rr.com> writes:
> > I don't think the current behavior is particularly harmful, but maybe
> > PostgreSQL could be made to idle more quietly.
>
> Yeah, this is something that's on my personal to-do list.  It's not
> really an efficiency/performance issue, but in a machine that's
> otherwise idle this behavior is bad for overall CPU power consumption.

I see what you mean that it's more of a CPU power consumption issue than
efficiency.  That makes sense.

This is a small issue that I've been meaning to ask about.  Thanks for
getting back to me.

> The plan is to try to use the "latch" primitives that were recently
> added to the code to eliminate sleep-and-check-for-something-to-do
> loops.  Didn't get done for 9.1 unfortunately.

Sounds good.

|  Steven Elliott  |  http://selliott.org  |  selliott4@austin.rr.com  |