Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on
Date
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 13:44 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 13:36, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 19:04 +0000, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> Log replication connections only when log_connections is on
> >>
> >> Previously we'd always log replication connections, with no
> >> way to turn them off.
> >
> > You noted that the code was there intentionally, yet you also couldn't
> > see the reason. That is not a great reason to change it. It's especially
> > not a great reason to make the change quickly.
>
> Yes. And I brought it up in discussion, and the consensus was to
> change it to be consistent.

No it wasn't. Robert explained the reason it was there.

Why make the change? Why make it quickly? Why avoid and ignore the CF?

> > The negative impact of this was a couple of log lines. No bug. Plus I
> > don't see any reason to introduce an incompatibility with the log output
> > from 9.0.
>
> The inability to remove it has certainly annoyed me, and I know a few
> others who have commented on it. And it's inconsistent behavior,
> something we in general try to avoid.

I care about diagnosing problems on production systems. There will be
many more people annoyed by the inability to diagnose issues then there
will be by people who care lots about a couple of log lines, or who care
about a few people's views on inconsistency.

Is your annoyance worth more than causing newbies problems and being
unable to diagnose production systems?

How will we diagnose erratic connection problems now?

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services