Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 13:43 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Downthread you say that this tool is also useful for making base
> backups
> > independent of replication functionality.  Sounds good.  But then
> the
> > documentation says that the connection must be with a user that has
> the
> > replication permission.  Something is conceptually wrong here: why
> would
> > I have to grant replication permission just to take a base backup
> for
> > the purpose of making a backup?
>
> It uses the replication features for it. You also have to set
> max_walsenders > 0, which is in the replication section of the
> postgresql.conf file.
>
> The point I wanted to make downthread was that it's useful without
> having a replication *slave*. But yes, you need the master.

Suggest calling this utility pg_replication_backup
and the other utility pg_replication_stream

It will be easier to explain the connection with replication.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services