Re: Something fishy about the current Makefiles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Something fishy about the current Makefiles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Whilst fooling around with GIN, I have repeatedly observed that doing
> >> "make" in src/backend/access/gin, followed by "make install-bin" in
> >> src/backend, fails to rebuild the postgres executable --- it just
> >> installs the existing one. A second execution of "make install-bin"
> >> does notice that postgres is out of date and rebuilds it. This
> >> procedure for rebuilding after changing one or two .c files has always
> >> worked for me before. I can't avoid the suspicion that the recent
> >> changes to make things more parallel-friendly broke something.
>
> > I've noticed something like this as well, but haven't been able to
> > figure out exactly what is going wrong.
>
> I'm not entirely sure either, but it looks like the first upper "make"
> updates the objfiles.txt file in src/backend/access and then the second
> one realizes it has to rebuild postgres.  Something about multi-level
> dependencies isn't quite right.

I had a weirdness with the dependency files a few days ago. The error
was a missing delimiter : at the end of one of the files. Stopped
everything cold until I added that character, then re-configured and not
a hint of the earlier problem.

Sounds like dependency is a common issue.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services