Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Without some means of doing a clone of the table in a single command,
> you've eliminated half the scripting work, but not helped at all with
> the other half.

I'm not trying to eliminate scripting work, I'm trying to minimise the
lock window with a reliable and smooth atomic switcheroo.

> Actually, you know what would be ideal?
>
> REPLACE TABLE old_table WITH SELECT ...
>
> Give it some thought ...

I have; the above would hold the lock window open while the SELECT runs
and that is explicitly something we are trying to avoid.

Good creative input though, thank you.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services