From Kobi Biton
Subject Re: *****SPAM***** Re: if-clause to an exiting statement
Date
List pgsql-general
I know it does not make sens "application bug" however consider the
following scenarion , looking at the Statement I sent I would like to
check if over the last 10 minutes a certain type of event was logged and
if NOT (row-count=0) then I would like to trigger and action.

hope it makes more sense.

Kobi.
On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 10:44 -0700, Scott Ribe wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Kobi Biton wrote:
> >
> > I know it does not sound logic however I do need to set the row count
> > to 1 in case row count returns 0
>
> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: you can't do that. The only thing you can do is make sure your query returns a
row,and in the case where it currently doesn't return a row I have absolutely no idea what it would be that you would
needto return.

> If it would be acceptable to always return some hard-wired dummy row in addition to the 0 or more rows that match the
currentquery, then you could use a UNION to add the dummy row to the selection. Otherwise, perhaps the real problem is
thatyou do not have a matching event in the database and the real solution is to add such an event.

> In your original post you referred to an application bug where a trigger does not run if the row count is 0. It's
hardfor me to imagine how it's a bug to not take action when there is no event that needs processing...

--
Kobi Biton
Com N S Ltd.

Mobile: +972 (54) 8017668