Re: Correction: datatypes are not "faster" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Sylvain Rabot
Subject Re: Correction: datatypes are not "faster"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 15:24 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> This paragraph leaves a *lot* to be desired from an accuracy perspective
> >
> > Really?  Exactly which statements will you claim are incorrect?
>
> That the int type is definitely faster on all platforms regardless of
> circumstances.  Especially the circumstance where the user really needs
> a bigint and is doing some wonky workaround to use int instead, like the
> newbie I'm chatting with on IRC right now, who did so specifically
> because of that page of the docs.

How do you know that the newbie, as you call him, needs a bigint. He was
only trying to optimize his database according to his needs and what he
read on the documentation. He might not be a postgresql master but at
least he tries to use postgresql at its best. Being wrong does not make
him a newbie but someone who learnt something which is a pretty common
thing in computer science.

The "newbie".