Re: BUG #5614: Varchar column (with DEFAULT NULL) stores 'UL' value instead of null - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From mmajer@janmedia.com
Subject Re: BUG #5614: Varchar column (with DEFAULT NULL) stores 'UL' value instead of null
Date
List pgsql-bugs
More info on this issue:
1. SQL queries where executed using JDBC.
2. I was trying to repeat the bug (executing 'direct queries', from psql)- I
created a new table, added some rows, then alter table adding varchar column
field (password_pdf) with DEFAULT NULL, added some rows problem does not
occur neither in 8.3.11 nor 8.1.19 - so it is not easy to repeat it
3. Another fact: after removing explicit DEFAULT NULL on column, everything
works fine
4. Problem occurs on production database instance so that I cannot test it
there. I will try to copy database on another postgre 8.3.11 instance and
repeat the bug to provide more details on this but this might take a while

> Maybe you did an ALTER SET DEFAULT in a strange way?

Hmm, rather not possible, SQL queries adding column (with DEFAULT NULL) were
executed from the application and the same (for sure) queries were executed
on development (8.1.19), test (8.1.19) and production (8.3.11) database. As
I wrote before only on production site