Re: warning message in standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: warning message in standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 18:11 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> >> If a message is being issued in a non-user-connected session, there
> >> is basically not a lot of point in WARNING or below.  It should either
> >> be LOG, or ERROR/FATAL/PANIC (which are probably all about the same
> >> thing in the startup process...)
> >
> > I think Simon's point here is the same as mine - LOG isn't too high -
> > it's too low.
>
> log_min_messages = warning        # values in order of decreasing detail:
>                     #   notice
>                     #   warning
>                     #   error
>                     #   log
>                     #   fatal
>                     #   panic
>
> I've left out some lines, but the ones I left are in the right order and
> there's nothing missing in the range. So WARNING < ERROR < LOG < FATAL,
> right?
>
> If that's the case, I guess Tom's right, once more, saying that LOG is
> fine here. If we want to be more subtle than that, we'd need to revise
> each and every error message and attribute it the right level, which it
> probably have already anyway.

Nobody is arguing with what Tom has said about log levels.

The problem is that LOG already has many things like performance logging
which aren't a problem as all. So we need a level between LOG and FATAL
to draw anyone's attention.

@Robert - I'd point out that the behaviour of archive_cleanup_command
and recovery_end_command is broken as a result of this discussion.