Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Juan,
>> When I hit
>> this pgsql on this laptop with a large query I can see the load spike up
>> really high on both of my virtual processors.  Whatever, pgsql is doing
>> it looks like both cpu's are being used indepently.

> Nope, sorry, you're being decieved.   Postgres is strictly one process, one
> query.

This is not strictly true: we have for instance pushed off some work
into a "background writer" process, and even just having both a client
and a server process active allows some small amount of parallelism.
But you're certainly not going to see effective use of more than about
two CPUs on a single query stream ... at least not without Bizgres or
some other add-on.

            regards, tom lane