Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date
List pgsql-general
"Chris Travers" <chris@travelamericas.com> writes:
> Also, I am a little confused by Tom's statement that we don't have the right
> to modify the license.

I don't see what's confusing about it.  Our implicit contract with
contributors (past and present) is that we'd distribute their work under
the terms of the same license they saw when they contributed.  Altering
the license without their agreement is breaking faith.

All of the arguments about license changes have been gone over in great
detail in the archives (I think the last major go-round on the topic was
in the summer of 2000).  No one who has been around long enough to
remember those flame wars is interested in re-opening the topic.  Not
even just to move a comma.

            regards, tom lane