Re: Differential backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Differential backup
Date
Re: Differential backup  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 08:59 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > An explicit mechanism where Postgres could authoritatively say
> > which files have changed would make many feel safer, especially
> > when other databases also do this.
>
> Why?  I must be missing something, because my feeling is that if you
> can't trust your OS to cover something like this, how can you trust
> any application *running* under that OS to do it?

Good questions. I'm exploring a perceived need.

I don't think people want this because they think the OS is flaky. It's
more about trusting all of the configurations of all of the filesystems
in use. An explicit mechanism would be more verifiably accurate. It
might just be about control and blame.