Re: recovery_connections cannot start - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: recovery_connections cannot start
Date
Re: recovery_connections cannot start  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 15:10 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> > Treating the string "true" as a special case seems like a kludge to
> > me.  Maybe a robust set of internal commands wouldn't be a kludge, but
> > that's not what's being proposed here.  I guess it's just a matter of
> > opinion.
>
> I don't see how to have internal commands without having special cases
> for the setting, and I did propose "pg_archive_bypass" as the name. I
> guess the implementation would be what Simon was talking about, though.
>
> I don't see "true" as meaningful in the context of an archive_command…

Saying "its a kludge" doesn't really address the issue and goes nowhere
towards fixing it. If we don't like the proposal, fine, then what is the
alternative solution?