Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > How about something like
>
> > wal_additional_info = none | archive | connect
>
> "connect" seems like a completely inappropriate word here.  It is
> not obviously related to HS slaves and it could be taken to refer
> to ordinary database connections (sessions).
>
> Personally I agree with your objection to "crash" but not with the
> objection to "standby".  Maybe this would be appropriate:
>
>     wal_mode = minimal | archive | hot_standby

Sounds good, I'll go for that.

In my understanding this means that archive_mode does completely and the
max_wal_senders does not affect WAL contents?

Does that mean that wal_mode can be SIGHUP now? It would be good. I
think this is how to do that:
At the start of every WAL-avoiding operation we could take a copy of
wal_mode for the server and store in MyProc->wal_mode. At transaction
start we would set that to "not set". We could then make
pg_start_backup() wait for all transactions with wal_mode set to
complete before we continue.