Re: db size and VACUUM ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Brad Nicholson
Subject Re: db size and VACUUM ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 13:46 -0500, Brad Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 18:41 +0100, Marcin Krol wrote:
> > Brad Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > First of all, I don't really care about 1G of disk space, the main
> > problem was why the performance degraded so much?
>
> Because you data is now spread across a whole lot more blocks on disk.
> It takes more work to find the data than it used to.

Oh, I didn't realize the DB was so small.  How big is your shared buffer
pool?  It very well might be that at 600MB, the entire DB fits into
buffer pool.  As the DB grows, it no longer the case, and the speed of
your disk now comes into play.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106