Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date
Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 20:37 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
> > But a
> > query getting canceled because it touches a lot of tables sounds more
> > like a limitation than an outright bug,
>
> It's not that the query might get canceled. It will abort WAL recovery,
> kill all backends, and bring the whole standby down.

Hmm, I think the incredible exploding Hot Standby is overstating this
somewhat. We can improve the error handling for this rare case for which
a simple workaround exists, but it seems like we should punt to phase 2.

You agree there should be two phases?