Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Summary and Plan for Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 13:15 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I know Simon has said that he feels that the effort
> to finish the HS and SR patches for 9/15 was somewhat of an artificial
> deadline, but ISTM that with only 3 months remaining until the close
> of the final CommitFest for this release, and two major patches to
> merged, we're starting to get tight on time.

As of further concerns about initial snapshot conditions, I agree we are
now tight on time.

> Presumably there will be
> problems with both patches that are discovered only after committing
> them, and we need some time for those to shake out.  If not enough of
> that shaking out happens during the regular development cycle, it will
> either prolong beta and therefore delay the release, or the release
> will be buggy.

I'm not worried about bugs. Fixes for those can go in anytime.

Missing features and small usability enhancements will be forced to wait
another year and cause upgrades for early adopters. That worries me.
REL8_0 shipped with an unusable bgwriter implementation and I've always
been wary of the need for minor tweaks late in a release since then.

I've not asked for an immediate commit, but we do need an agreed period
patch stability to allow testing, prior to a commit.