Re: next CommitFest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: next CommitFest
Date
Re: next CommitFest
Re: next CommitFest
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 06:46 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> Having said that,
> I'm not capable of single-handedly effecting an on-time release

You're bloody good and the task needs to fit our capability anyway.

So, yes, you are.

> We need larger, more robust pools of
> committers, reviewers, commitfest managers, etc.

We're living in a desert. We just need to remember it. Plan hard, focus
on the important and be real. Move at a smooth pace to save resources.
Don't give up when the going gets tough, just rest up and then continue.

Not a new idea, but I think we should require all patch submitters to do
one review per submission. There needs to be a balance between time
spent on review and time spent on dev. The only real way this happens in
any community is by peer review.

All patch submitters need to know that they must also take their turn as
patch reviewers. If it is a hard rule, then patch *sponsors* would be
forced to accept that they must *also* pay for review time. It is the
sponsors that need to be forced to accept that reality, though we can
only "get at them" through controlling developer behaviour. So, I
propose that we simply ignore patches from developers until they have
done sufficient review to be allowed to develop again.