Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
Re: EOL for 7.4?
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 16:37 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > Unless there are unfixable data loss bugs in it, I say we keep it.
> >
> > Many people still run it, so why make them move?
>
> There are non-trivial amounts of effort required to produce and test
> packages for each branch we maintain. That affects all of the
> packagers to varying degrees and should not be overlooked.

I see we've already removed it from the home page anyway.

People that are running older releases need to be able to find info
about our position with respect to earlier releases. Keeping the docs
available is important, since people may need to read up on how to dump
data so it can be upgraded.

We need a link to "older releases" with mention something like
7.4    Considered Stable, no tracking or fixing of new bugs
7.3    Considered Stable, no tracking or fixing of new bugs
7.2    Considered Unstable; upgrade immediately to avoid data loss

Personally, I would be more inclined to keep 7.4 as a supported version
and remove support for 8.0, possibly 8.1 also. There's no need to remove
them in chronological order - we should remove them based upon whether
its sensible to maintain them further. It also helps if we can say we
support software over long periods of time; that's very important for
embedded software.