Re: Postmaster hangs - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Karen Pease
Subject Re: Postmaster hangs
List pgsql-bugs
> OK, so there's nothing shrieklingly obviously wrong with what the
> postmaster is up to. But what about the backend that's stopped
> responding? Try connecting gdb to that "postgres" process once it's
> stopped responding and get a backtrace from that.

Okay -- I started up a psql instance, which immediately locks up.  I
then attached gdb to it and got this:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00fe2416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00fe2416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

I also tried it on the psql instance that ran the update that caused the
lockup:

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00a09416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
^C
0x00a09416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb)

> You can find out a bit more about what the kernel is doing using the
> "magic" keyboard sequence "ALT-SysRQ-T" from a vconsole (not under X).

Nothing happened.  Nothing useful in dmesg -- certainly no stacktraces.

    - Karen