Re: Join optimization for inheritance tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Join optimization for inheritance tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 18:16 -0400, Emmanuel Cecchet wrote:

> If the partitioning implementation does not make progress (and does not
> make it for 8.5)

Manu, not sure if you are referring to Kedar's patch I reviewed earlier
in July, but that patch didn't implement anything like the right
internals for this to work.

As Tom says, what we need is a single internal data structure that
describes all the partitions. That can then be used to automatically
route inserts, perform the push down merge joins and speed-up constraint
exclusion. We should build this once and store it in the relcache for
the parent relation and so would need some changes in relcache
invalidation as well to make sure child ddl changes invalidate that.