Re: Link requirements creep - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Link requirements creep
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
>> It broke my FC6 box :-(

> Yeah, I saw.  I'm inclined to wait a day to get a handle on the scope
> of the problem before trying to choose an appropriate fix.

So the returns are in, and buildfarm says: this is only broken on
Red Hat-based systems.  How embarrassing :-(

It's evidently fixed in Fedora 7 and up, which means that only EOL'd
Fedora distributions are affected, but since RHEL 5 is affected I'm
still on the hook to fix it.

What I'm inclined to do is move the test for -Wl,--as-needed down till
after we've determined the readline dependent-libraries situation, and
then enable it only if we can still link readline with it on.  So a
system with broken readline won't get the benefit.  But the available
evidence says that there are too few such systems to justify a more
complicated solution.

Comments?