DELETE syntax on JOINS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel Pouré
Subject DELETE syntax on JOINS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Friends,

First, thank you very much for considering a fix on the GROUP BY issue.
I am starting a new thread about another issue:

It seems that DELETE cannot understand INNER JOINS and needs HAVING.

Read:
http://drupal.org/node/555562 (main message)
http://drupal.org/node/555648

I don't see why PostgreSQL would not be able to run queries like:

DELETE h
FROM history AS h
INNER JOIN term_node AS tn ON (h.nid = tn.nid)
INNER JOIN term_data AS td ON (td.tid = tn.tid)
WHERE h.uid = 2067 AND td.vid = 2

Ultimately, why not allow:

DELETE h, tn
FROM history AS h
INNER JOIN term_node AS tn ON (h.nid = tn.nid)
INNER JOIN term_data AS td ON (td.tid = tn.tid)
WHERE h.uid = 2067 AND td.vid = 2

IMHO this would improve compliance towards other database systems. To me
this seems to be in the reasonable scope of compatibility.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel